We are still celebrating St. David’s day. This time, Zach is making Welsh cakes for us. Have you ever tried fresh Welsh cakes? They are quick to make and taste divine, if I may so myself.
The recipe Zach used is very similar to our scone recipe.
- Mix 225 grams self-raising flour, 25 grams sugar, 1 teaspoon of grounded nutmeg and a pinch of salt with 80 grams butter or margarine. The mixture should look like bread crumbs.
- Add 50 grams of sultanas, mix well.
- Add a splash of milk ( or non-dairy milk) to form a soft dough.
- Roll the dough out about 1 cm thick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut your designed shape. In Zach’s case, he made a zoo.
- Shallow fry your Welsh cakes so both sides are golden brown and cooked in the middle.
- Dust Welsh cakes with icing sugar (optional).
P.S You may notice that Peppa pig shaped Welsh cakes are a bit burned (the grill was a bit too hot). In that case, icing sugar is a must.
I hope you enjoy our ” cooking with kids” recipes. What should Zach cook next? I would love to hear from you, please leave comments below.