It is Friday. We started to see a lot more green vegetables in our box. Spring is finally here! However, as a result, I received one baking potato, two parsnips and one celeriac in my vegetable box. There were not enough ingredients to use just one kind of vegetable to make a meal. I have to combine them. Hence, roasted root vegetable fries are born.
Both parsnips and celeriacs are challenging flavours for a 5-year old. Well, Celeriac is a challenge for all of us.
I always wonder what I could do to “cheat” my 5-year old so he could eat more varieties of vegetables. This time, I chopped all root vegetables to similar sized stripes. They looked a bit like chunky fries. The recipe as follows
- Parboil root vegetables with salt and cumin
- Place parboiled vegetables in a roast tin with raw onions, slides of lemons or limes. Season well. I also used one table spoon of soy sauce and one tea spoon of honey.
- Drizzle the vegetables with oil.
- Roast them at a 200-220°C oven for 20-30 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Serve freshly cooked vegetables with anything you fancy. We had ours with cherry tomatoes, avocado slices and extra balsamic vinegar.
Zach did not suspect there were hidden random vegetables at all.
P.S For those non-vegetarians out there, you could roast chicken drumsticks on top of the vegetables at the same time. One pan meal is always my favourite.
Do you have any celeriac cooking ideas? I love to hear from you.